Waiting on a Transplant

The late Dr. Frederick Sampson II tells the story of him walking down the street in Washington, DC when he curiously saw a rose growing in an alley. So captured by the experience Dr. Sampson paused and imagined himself in conversation with the rose. 

He asked the rose, “How in the world did you get here? You’re in an alley surrounded by trash and pugnacious odors. You’re in a place where beauty is uncommon. How did you get here?”

The rose replied to him, “Well, Dr. Sampson, I had no choice about where I was planted. When I discovered who I was, I was already in the alley. But I decided to not let my surroundings determine my trajectory. I decided to rise where I found myself. Yes, I found myself surrounded by all types of offensive odors, but I decided not to participate in the stench. Rather, to release my fragrance and create beauty where I was. I’m waiting on a transplant, but until that Day comes, I’ve decided to bloom right where I am.”

Comments

  1. when i discovered who i was, i was already in the alley. mercy! i liked this; thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome adjustedsails. It was a blessing to me so I passed it onto to whoever was willing to read it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts