Do You Have Jesus?

It was three o'clock in the afternoon. Acts 3:1 records it as "the hour of prayer." Peter and John were going together but their plan to pray was interrupted by a man in need of ministry. It was a divine appointment. God had it on His calendar in glory, but he hadn't told them about it as they planned their day that morning.

This "certain lame man" wanted money. Peter and John, poor preachers, if you please, didn't have money. But they had want the man needed -- Jesus!

Now here's the critical point of the passage for me. They had what the man really needed, which was Jesus. Simple right? Yes, but look again at the fact that they weren't expecting to run into this man! Like you're not expecting your car to break down on the highway, but when you do break down, you have your AAA card and your dues are paid. Like you're not expecting to get into an accident, but when you do hit somebody, you have State Farm and your premium is up to date. Like you're not expecting the cop to pull you over for doing 45 MPH in a 35 MPH zone, but when you do you have your license and current registration in the glove compartment. So it was when they ran into this "certain lame man," they had Jesus at that moment.

At that moment.

They didn't need to go back and get Jesus. They had Jesus (in their hearts). They didn't need to go "consecrate themselves" before they interacted with the man. I'm telling you, this passage has me wondering about how we sometimes need to "consecrate ourselves" before we have to give a speech, teach a Sabbath School lesson or preach a sermon. We know we need to "give Jesus" at a certain point. He's on the schedule. You know, on a Wednesday night or a Sabbath morning. Unfortunately, that kind of thinking baits one into believing he or she can live like the devil the other days of the week but "get it together" before it's time for that Bible study, Sabbath School class or church service.

Nope. Look at Acts 3 again. Peter and John didn't even know they were going to be called on to "give Jesus." The powerful lesson? We need Jesus ALL THE TIME!

In Psalm 5 the poet is beseeching the Lord to hear his prayer and recognizes that God only hears the prayers of those who turn away from sin. In fact, in Psalm 5:4 we read, "You are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness, Nor shall evil dwell with You."

When I pull these two texts together it behooves us to examine ourselves and be sure we're not holding onto some sin that would separate us from God (Isaiah 59:2). We need Jesus morning, noon and night. We need Jesus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We need Him for ourselves. We may need Jesus so that we can share Him with someone else. I am not sure who will cross my path today. Neither do you.

After Peter and John gave Jesus and Jesus raised the lame man, people were amazed. The miracle then focused the people so they were ready to hear the Gospel. I like how the New Living Translation says in verse 12 that Peter "saw his opportunity and addressed the crowd." If we keep Jesus with us, He will give us opportunities to testify of His goodness and turn people to Him.

Examine yourself today. I know I am. See whether or not there is some cherished sin that may be clogging your connection to Heaven. Again, Isaiah 59:2 says, "Your iniquities have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear." You can't have Jesus and your cherished sin. You've got to choose. If you make the right choice, not only will you be blessed. But there's a certain lame or woman, crippled by sin or some circumstance who needs the Jesus you have. God didn't let you pencil them into your datebook or type it into your Blackberry. You won't know about the divine appointment until you almost trip over them. But if you have Jesus, you'll be ready.

Comments

  1. Amen, Yes this is true. I know when I have made a grave mistake in my choice, I feel separated from Jesus. I also know that when I feel my mistakes are downing me and I can't take it any more being separated from Jesus, that's when He hears my prayer and comes to rescue me and I see my world around me falling into place for the better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts